Wow, another year has gone by. As I get older the years seem to fly by faster. Here are some of the highlights of my 2015 and a look ahead to what 2016 will hold, Lord willing:
- I finished my basketball career with the Wyoming Warriors. It was a great year filled with some crazy blowouts and close wins/losses. We took two road-trips down to Indiana for tournaments. The end-of-season tournament was in mid February. We won our first game but lost our second. I received the Christian Character award for the season. I wrote more about my time with the Warriors here.
- I ran the 2015 Fifth Third River Bank Run on May 9, 2015. It was not the ideal day for it because there was a light rain the entire time. But it was still a blast. I finished in the “two-hour club” with a time of one hour and 56 minutes. That’s a 7:28 mile.
- I spend all summer working as a cabin leader at Pine Ridge Bible Camp. It was by far the best summer of my life! I wrote about my time at PRBC here
- On September 12 we moved into The Lincoln and started Bridge Street Mission School. It has been an incredible adventure. Currently we are at the half-way point in the one-year mission school. I wrote about it here, here, and here.
- On October 18, 2015, I ran the 2015 Grand Rapids Half-Marathon with my parents and Team World Vision. I finished the half-marathon in one hour and 34 minutes and a mile time of 7:17. But that’s not the real reason I run. I run because they walk. Learn more about why I run here, here, and here. Also, here are twelve reasons you should run a marathon in 2016.
- On December 28, 2015, I turned 19!! EEK!!!
That is a brief snippet into my life the past twelve months. Now, a look ahead to what 2016 will hold:
- Mission School. For our second phase of the school (called “global outreach” which is January and February) we will be split between Guatemala and India. I will be in Guatemala. I wrote about what we will be doing in Guat here. We will graduate BSMS on April 28, 2016.
- I am registered to run the 2016 Fifth Third Riverbank Run on May 14, 2016. Hopefully it won’t be raining again this time. 🙂
- I would love to work at Pine Ridge Bible Camp during the summer of 2016.
- I am planning on running either the Grand Rapids marathon or half-marathon. In 2014 I ran the marathon but this past year I ran the half-marathon. I did 13.1 instead of 26.2 in 2015 for a couple reasons. For one, I wasn’t able to do nearly any training during the summer because I was so busy with camp life. In 2014 I trained like crazy all summer. Another reason was because I felt so horrible after the marathon that I didn’t want to kill myself again. After the half-marathon this year I felt great. I’m debating whether I want to go with 13.1 and enjoy it or push myself back up to 26.2. Also, I’ve considered really pushing myself and trying to qualify for Boston. Either way, I will again be running with Team World Vision. I run because they walk.
- As for the school year of 2016-17, I have no clue. We shall see what ends up happening. God’s got me covered.
Well friends, that’s a little bit about my past year and a look ahead to the next. A few last thoughts:
- If you would like to be added to a prayer/update weekly email about our time in Guatemala, contact me and I’ll add you to that list. I will be leaving my phone in the States and I will not be checking Facebook while we are away. The weekly email is the best way to stay updated on our adventures.
- My school has a Saturday Night Worship on Saturday, January 2nd with a potluck at 6pm and worship at 7pm. If you would like to know more about BSMS or just say goodbye, feel free to come out and enjoy some food and fellowship. We leave for Guatemala the next day.
As Bugs Bunny would say, that’s all folks! May God bless you richly in 2016.